Getting Into An Accident On The Rush To The Hospital
A Florida mom who was on the way to the hospital to give birth to twins narrowly avoided tragedy when another car struck the vehicle she was travelling in. Mom Jessica Stanley, her husband and three daughters all survived the accident, as did both babies, the first of which was born in the car within minutes of the accident.
Many expectant parents find themselves driving at high speeds and under tremendous stress as they attempt to transport their laboring spouse to the hospital. The combination of the speed and distraction to the driver by concerns for the birthing mother can lead to an accident and, in many cases, the results are tragic.
Avoid an auto accident
Excessive speed is a leading cause of road deaths. To prevent a car accident during the critical moments before a baby’s birth, take these precautions:
- Slow down: If the difference of a few minutes is marginal, it’s better to avoid the risk of an accident en route.
- Don’t turn around: If the laboring mother is in the back of the car, use the rearview mirror to check on her periodically.
- Call ahead: Inform the hospital of the situation so they can dispatch an ambulance to meet you along the way.
- Ask a friend to drive you: If you fear the stress might affect your driving, ask a friend or neighbor to drive instead.
- Stay home: It is safer for a baby to be born at home than for you to drive like a maniac to the hospital.
- If you are not going to make it in time, pull over: Put on your hazard lights and call an ambulance rather than speeding to the hospital.
If you are in an accident and sustain serious injury, seek medical treatment immediately. A car accident attorney can help you file a personal injury claim and win compensation for your injuries. Contact the Barkett Law Firm in Tulsa.